Since moving north I've discovered that I really like blueberries. Fresh blueberries taste nothing like the yucky blueberry flavoured yogourt that I despise--the only blueberry I had come into contact with before moving here. Real blueberries are delicious but I can't really describe their flavor. They aren't particularly sweet but they're not tart either...they just taste like blueberries.
Another of my favorite fruits (or is it a vegetable?) is rhubarb. Scott's parents have a big rhubarb plant and they sent about 2 pounds when Krista came to visit.
I hadn't decided what to do with the rhubarb so I Googled rhubarb and blueberry since I had 2 kg of frozen blueberries and I found the following recipes. Its very easy and delicious. It's not too sweet. We decided it would be even better with ice cream (but isn't everything?).
1 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups rhubarb
2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl combine flour, oats, sugar. Mix in the butter to make a crumbly mixture.
In a lightly greased 8x8x2 dish, combine all fruit and dry ingredients. Sprinkle with water.
Spread topping over the fruit. Cook for 45 minutes or until topping is browned and fruit is bubbling.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh what I wouldn't give for some rhubarb crisp..... :(
I have to agree with the blueberry thing. I use to think that they were gross. But since moving to Georgia I have discovered that they are very good if they are fresh. Georgia grows a lot of blueberries (which I never would have guessed) and you can go to blueberry farms and pick your own berries at a price that makes you feel like you are robbing them because they are so cheap. I made some really healthy blueberry muffins with some of mine that were delicious. I wish I had picked more of them and frozen them; but the kids were hot and tired. So were only got about 2.5 lbs
Yeah I once threw up blueberry yogurt so i don't really like that blueberry flavoring. But I do like blueberry muffins!
Post a Comment